Photos of Former Lincoln High School & East Junior High Building

Compiled by Kathy Engel, SWCHC Librarian

The Wisconsin Rapids Public School District will discontinue the use of the East Junior High School building. Here are pictures from the past 115 years.

The original Lincoln High School was built in 1903, on the current site of East Junior High School.

“New Lincoln High School,” shown in this postcard drawing, was built in 1931.

This aerial photo shows Lincoln High School, left, Witter Manual Training School, middle, and the Teacher Training School, right. The picture was taken in about 1954.

The vocational section of Lincoln High School was added in 1957. To the right is the Witter building.

This picture shows Lincoln High School with the 1957 addition, right, but not the 1962 addition.

The aerial photo shows Lincoln High School in about 1970. The Wood County Normal School, right (formerly the Teacher Training School) was torn down in 1978. In 1979, the Witter building, center, was demolished.

The school building became East Junior High in the fall of 1979.

Email, print, or share on social media: Email this to someone
email
Print this page
Print
Share on Facebook
Facebook
Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Posted in Kathy, Local history, photos | 5 Comments

Documents from the Historical and Literary Club

Compiled by Alison Bruener, Museum Assistant

Over time, collections from local clubs and organizations have found their way to the South Wood County Historical Museum. The following are some examples of items donated by the Historical and Literary Club, which disbanded after 122 years.

Programs contained meeting dates, host information, and the topics for every gathering.

 

Receipt from the Grand Rapids Tribune for printing the 1912 program booklet.

 

Handwritten Constitution of Historical and Literary Club. This list was later typed and was in use until disbandment.

 

Correspondence from a family in Holland in 1947, thanking Mrs. Carl Otto for the package they received. The Historical and Literary Club was known for sending packages during and after WWII to families affected in Europe.

For more information on the Historical and Literary Club or to donate items of your own, please email Museum Administrator Lori Brost at lori@southwoodcountyhistory.org.

Email, print, or share on social media: Email this to someone
email
Print this page
Print
Share on Facebook
Facebook
Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Posted in Alison, Local history | Leave a comment

Sampling of Artifacts #52

The latest issue of our print periodical,  Artifacts, is available now. We have made it to Issue #52 of the second edition! Below are some sample pages from the new issue.

Subscriptions to Artifacts include membership to the South Wood County Historical Corp., and can be acquired by emailing our Museum Administrator Lori Brost at lori@southwoodcountyhistory.org.

Email, print, or share on social media: Email this to someone
email
Print this page
Print
Share on Facebook
Facebook
Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Posted in Dave Engel, Latest News, Local history, photos | Leave a comment